Sunday, January 24, 2010

Birds



In my katazome work I have been interested in using Australian birds and flora.


So I was really surprised when I found a few paintings by Itō Jakuchū incorporating what look like cockatoos and eclectus parrots! (http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/education-resources/eclectus-parrot.html)
These are part of a painting tradition in Japan called kachoga 花鳥画, meaning flower and bird paintings.

I’ve also seen some kimono from Japan which feature exotic looking parrots like Cockatoos.


Even more exciting to come across was this katazome piece by famous Japanese dyer Inagaki Toshijirō. (National Treasure, b. 1902 Kyoto ~ 1963)










Seems that exotic birds have long been present in Japanese art and textiles. Its nice to think I am continuing in this tradition.

No comments:

Post a Comment